Future Plans of A.P.S.R.T.C.
Wide Area Networks for Online Passengers Information System
A wide area network is being planned to connect all the Bus Stations in A.P. and adjoining states, to provide facility to passengers know the reservation status of the services from any Bus Station. This network will be connected to the existing network which covers Corporate Office, MGBS, JBS, Zonal and Regional Offices and Depots. Similarly, the Zonal and Regional Stores located at various Districts in the state are also planned to be connected.
This project is to be utilized as per the guidelines received from the Govt. of A.P. This project enables APSRTC to procure its requirements like automobile spares, general items through the e-procurement portal that is set up by the GoAP. The personnel involving in e-Procurement activity are notified and they have to obtain the digital signatures/digital certificates for e-Procurement activity.
APSRTC has also proposed for pilot implementation of e-auction through M/s. MSTC a Governmental agency, at two of its Zonal stores’ viz. Uppal and Vizianagaram. An agreement has been entered into. Interface Software is being developed for taking processed information after tendering from the firm’s portal.
Migration & Integration of IT projects to new technologies:
The legacy systems in APSRTC are as independent islands across 308 locations which are mostly in Cobol on Linux platform. APSRTC has initiated the process of migration & integration of all it’s existing IT projects to latest technologies, duly automating the non-computerized core areas also. For this purpose a new project, named Centralized integrated Solution (CIS) is launched in the month of April 2012. M/s TCS is going to implement this project for APSRTC with Oracle EBS R12. Further, the migration to latest technologies would help APSRTC in:
- Overcoming of current system’s inability to operate on the latest technology and address the security issues, which the existing systems could not handle.
- Eliminate Redundancy and duplication of the data.
It will also help APSRTC improve it’s efficiency and quality of data in the following ways:
- Data Integrity: Data integrity can be attained within and between all these systems through centralized data management avoiding duplication of data and enabling data integrity since data would be maintained at a single site.
- Easy Data Management: Centralization would help in easier and cost effective management of large amount of data.
- Sustained Application: Centralized application would ensure control on the existing application by avoiding multiple versions at different locations. Also any application change will be validated across all the sites in the organization.
- Optimum Manpower utilization: The available man power will be optimally utilized at a central location, concentrating on the major issues at a single site.
- Data Availability: Access to real time information and desired MIS reports can be extracted from centralized system, providing up-to-date and accurate data for reporting, analysis and decision making.
- Standardization: Standardized formats and forms will be built into the new system for easy user operations. Codes across systems that are currently not uniform and lead to manual effort would be standardized after the integrated solution implementation.
- Paperless Office: The Corporation also aims at establishing a paperless office.
Business Integration of existing IT Projects in proposed CIS project (Overview)
Proposed Network Solution and Hardware
GPS IN TIMS
This proposed to track the vehicles online which enables the following advantages:
- Punctuality of services can be monitored accurately.
- Better services can be provided to clientele about arrival timings, availability of seats in the buses etc.
- Information can be immediately received during any calamities/accidents.
RFID Readers in TIMs
This is proposed to provide RFID reader in TIMs to obtain the following advantages.
- Verification of authority and validity of bus passes.
- Online renewal of bus passes which enables the pass holder to renew the bus passes without going to any counter.