APSRTC has been a pioneer
in implementation I.T. in the state of Andhra Pradesh. Implementation
and effective use of IT has helped APSRTC in:-
- Providing better Services to Passengers
- Reduction of passengers' waiting time at the time of ticketing &
issue of bus passes.
- Effective Managerial Controls.
- Reduction in waiting time of conductors at the counters.
- Effective Maintenance Management of Vehicles.
- Faster communication of information.
- Better inventory control.
- Standardization and simplification.
- Effective Transfer Pricing and better Inter-Unit transactions.
- Better Service to the Employees in Welfare schemes.
Bus Pass Counters
Bus Pass Counters
Cental Resevation Counters
| Major Areas of IT Applications
OLTAS-Online Ticket Accounting System
TIMs - Ticket Issuing Machines
PMS - Personnel Management System
OPRS - Online Passenger Reservation System
PAAS - Pass Automation and Accountal System.
Implemented at Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam.
| Maintenance : VEMAS
- Vehicle Maintenance & Testing system.
Inventory Management System:
STOINS -Stores Inventory System.
OLIMS - Online Inventory Management System.
Computer Aided Design Systems:
CIVIL- CAD Work Stations.
MIS - Management Information Systems.
PRS - Pay Roll System.
PFAS - PF Accounting System , RM - Cobol -85 with Unix enviroment
FACTIS- Financial Accounting Information System.
SRBS (Staff Retirement Benefit Scheme) FoxBase + under Unix Multiuser
SBT (Staff Benevolent Thrift Fund) SCO - FoxBase + under SCO
Unix Multiuser environment.
CCS (Employees' Cooperative Credit & Thrift Society)
HMS (Hospital Management SYSTEMS)
Unix/Linux Operating System , Network systems, DOS/Windows , CAD Work
Stations, Computerized Vehicle Testing Equipment
Software Used : COBOL , Pro *C, FOX
BASE, FOX PRO, VISUAL BASIC 5/6, ORACLE 7.X, Oracle 8g/10g. Oracle Apps
Online Passenger Reservation System :
Booking facility through web interface is provided at
various Reservation Centers that facilitates ticket issue on 'Any-where
to Any-where basis'. The Online Passenger Reservation System (OPRS) is
implemented at 117 Bus Stations throughout the Corporation with about
6000 services and 1692 ATB Agents (Paper ticket).
The following features are provided through OPRS
- Ticket Booking Modes – Agents, Bus Stations Counters, e-Ticketing.
- 1840+ agents spread across AP, Chennai, Shirdi, Goa, Mumbai, Pune,
- Planning to increase the existing agents from 1800 to 5000 by liberalising
the rules imposed on agents by replacing the existing pre-printed tickets
with white paper based tickets and allowing SMS also as a valid travel
- Various Payment Options like Credit Card, Debit Card and Net Banking
- Wait Listing Option for all types of buses – First of its kind
in STUs across India.
- Paper Less Travel – Passengers can travel showing the ticket
SMS instead of carrying Hardcopy. This is an APSRTC initiative to encourage
the "GO GREEN" concept.
- Connecting to the customers through social media like Facebook/Twitter.
Have a dedicated team to maintain and reply to customer queries.
- Live Track and Mobile app.
Benefits to Passengers from OPRS:
- Information available on fingertips.
- Ability to book tickets sitting at home using Credit/Debit Cards &
- Option to Purchase Waitlisted Tickets.
- Can book tickets anywhere to anywhere
- Ability to pay in cash,credit card, wallet.
- Avail Value Added Services like Accommodation and Dinner On Board
Central Complaint Cell :
- Unique one of its kind service in all STUs with a Toll Free
number i.e., 0866 2570005.
- Established to handle the customer grievances through a centralized
- Currently Handling 3000+ calls/ 300 live chats, 200 emails per day.
- Addressing the Complaints pertaining to the services, behavior of
the crew, bus stations and punctuality of the services.
- Plays a key role in arranging the immediate relief to the passengers
in case of breakdown of vehicles.
- Addressing passenger grievances related to the credit and debit card
- Enquiries with related to the availability of the services and seats
for online ticketing.
- Enquiries regarding the usage of the OPRS.
- Enquiry about the Boarding Points.
- Feedback related to the APSRTC services and other facilities.
- Gives customers the freedom to call and get necessary information
|Corporate office network and Intranet :
Corporate Office Networking:
A well established LAN is provided in the Corporate Office located in
RTC House, Vijayawada and is protected with Anti Virus. A paperless office
is the aim of networking. Similarly, this office is connected with major
Bus Stations,besides being connected to all the Zonal and Regional offices
and Depots through RTCWAN network.
Ticket Issuing Machines
(TIMs) : Ticket Issuing Machines (TIM's) were introduced in APSRTC
in May 2000. The main aim of introducing TIMs is to issue tickets even
after completion of ground booking and to pick up more no. of passengers
en-route. Also with a view that the Management can derive information
on various fronts like punctuality analysis, travel patterns of the public,
economic viability of service, saving of stationery and generate MIS reports
from the database. Similarly the crew will be benefited by issuing a single
ticket to a group of passengers, avoiding of ticket punching and S.R.
closing, instantaneous remittance of reports. At present there are 14,500
TIMs are being utilised.
Pass Automation &
Accountal System (PAAS) Project: This Project is developed in three
tier architecture using Oracle as back end (database) and Dotnet as front
end. 58 types of passes are being issued through 135 centers across the
state. Bus passes are issued from 8.00 A.M. to 8.00 P.M. on week days
and 9.00 A.M. to 3.00 P.M. on Sundays and Holidays.
Computer Training: All the 4 Zonal Staff Training Colleges and
the Training Academy,Gannavaram are provided with full fledged computer
systems for imparting training to System supervisors on application
software and system administration of operating systems.
- Regional/ Zonal core group supervisors are trained on latest developments
and software maintenance.
- Assistant Depot clerks of the depots are trained on the day to
day activities to be carried out on the application software and operating
- For advanced courses, all the categories who are using computers
are trained at reputed Training Institutes.
VEHICLE TRACKING SYSTEM:
.GPS based Vehicle Tracking Equipment will be installed
in the buses identified to be covered under the Project. The service/route
in which each bus is operated will be assigned to each Vehicle Tracking
- The geographical positional coordinates (Latitude and Longitude) are
captured by the Vehicle Tracking equipment and transmitted to the Central
Data Center at predetermined intervals, through GPRS, for which one
SIM card will be installed in each Vehicle Tracking Unit. Based on the
route on which the bus travels and its current position, the estimated
time of arrival of the bus at all the subsequent stages will be calculated
by the application which will be installed in the Data Center. This
information will then be sent to the LED/LCD displays concerned, through
GPRS for which a SIM card will be installed in the PIS controller of
each LED/LCD display Unit. This information is then displayed by the
- The project is covered in all types of buses.
PROJECTS UNDER PIPE LINE.
Centralised Integrated Solutions:
APSRTC initaited the process of migration and Integration of all the existing
IT projects to latest ERP technologies i.e. Oracle Apps, EBS(R-12). APSRTC
is the foremostSTU to take up the task of this kind in Public Transport
Advantages of CIS :
- APSRTC can upgrade the existing IT projects to letest technologies
including additon of new areas where computerisation is yet to be achieved.
- Avoidance of redundancy and duplication of data being centrally availabe
for effective and efficieint decision making.
- Advancement of technologies can also be updated in the organisation
alongwith the organisations of similar business across globe.
- The Managers in the Organisation will be exposed to the latest technologies.
- Profit/Loss of the Corporation can be viewed in real time standards
and the measures could be taken up effectively.
- Accounts reconciliation will take place at one server.
Achievements in Computerization :
- All 127 Depots(100%) have been computerized.
- All Bus Stations computerized for passenger reservations.
- 100% computerization of pay rolls and P. F. accounting for all the
- Complete on-line inventory management in seven Zonal/one Regional Stores
and a Bus Body Building Workshop Stores.
- Design of bus body designs using CAD workstations.
- Design of Civil engineering infrastructure using CAD and STAAD software
- Computerized MIS for Depots / Divisions/ Regions/ Corporate office
- Computerized vehicle-testing machine in use to check effectiveness
of braking, steering, lighting and exhaust systems.
- All Regional Offices and Depots are connected to RTCWAN and provided
with broad band connections.
- Computer controlled platform announcement system and electronic display
boards at Mahatma Gandhi Bus Station, Hyderabad.
- Computerized On-line Bus Pass System implemented in Vijayawada and
- Ticket Issuing Machines (TIMs) 18243 Conductors TIms and 8120 Driver
Tims introduced, which includes 25% spares.
- Operating 24X7X365 days tollfree Central Call Centre to address the
passenger complaints, grievances etc,.
- Computerised 20 dispensaries and Corporate Hospital at Tarnaka which
includes OP module, Pharmacy, Clinical module, Lab, Blood bank, Operation
theatre, Radiology and Maternity ward.